[Wylug-discuss] Laptops again

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Tue Oct 18 08:13:50 UTC 2011

On Tue, 18 Oct 2011, Christopher McLean wrote:

> I'd agree with John, but.... I was on the verge of buying an optimus based
> laptop a few months ago. There is work in progress and this looks promising:
>
> http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/06/bumblebee-gets-a-ppa-brings-nvidia-optimus-graphics-switching-to-ubuntu
>
> although when I looked into it, it still was manual switching

I'd pointed that out to a friend with Optimus (who using old drivers was stuck
with vesa...) but hadn't heard of anybody using it.  There was also some form
of schism within the project that made me a bit sceptical about how it was
going to progress.  It'd be good if it did work well though, as otherwise
you're getting no benefit whatsoever from your more powerful graphics.

jh