[Wylug-discuss] Wylug-discuss Digest, Vol 78, Issue 7

Simon Whiteley simonkwhiteley at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 20:24:01 UTC 2011

>  Anybody using Arch Linux? I've heard good things, but I am a bit wedded to
>  Debian's packaging system. What's pacman like? and does their package
>  management really work.

Yes, I use Arch Linux on all (5) my systems (servers, netbook, desktop) and
six other laptops and desktops that family and friends run.  I too was only
ever impressed by the Debian package management until I came across Pacman,
the Arch package manager, which I believe is equal to, if not superior to,
dpkg/apt/synaptic.

You do need to be careful if you play Pacman Roulette, the game where you
simply run '(sudo) pacman -Syu' every 5 minutes or so, as you are literally
running on the bleeding edge and occasionally, probably happened to me twice
in three years, you can get cut up!  It is always possible to stitch up the
wounds and recover the system (although you have current back-ups, don't
you?) but I usually take the opportunity to start a fresh install with my
new 'favourite' features from scratch.

Arch Linux is *the* 'distro hopping stopper' as I will testify after several
years of looking at the green grass on the other side of the fence I don't
even bother installing any other distro  because anything that is available
on Fedora/Ubuntu/OpenSuse can be installled/applied to Arch.

All the best,

Simon.