[Wylug-discuss] Wylug-discuss Digest, Vol 78, Issue 7

Dave Fisher davef at davefisher.co.uk
Fri Oct 21 16:54:55 UTC 2011

On 20 October 2011 21:23, Simon Whiteley <simonkwhiteley at gmail.com> wrote:
> You do need to be careful if you play Pacman Roulette, the game where you
> simply run '(sudo) pacman -Syu' every 5 minutes or so, as you are literally
> running on the bleeding edge and occasionally, probably happened to me twice
> in three years, you can get cut up!  It is always possible to stitch up the
> wounds and recover the system (although you have current back-ups, don't
> you?) but I usually take the opportunity to start a fresh install with my
> new 'favourite' features from scratch.

So what's the safe (non-roulette) way to keep up to date?

I've stuck with Debian-based systems for the last dozen years or so,
precisely because I don't consider re-installs to be any kind of
'opportunity'.

Nor do I consider restoring from back-ups to be an interesting way to
pass the time.

OTOH, I think I'm getting towards the end of my tether with Ubuntu.

Dave