[Wylug-discuss] Wylug-discuss Digest, Vol 78, Issue 7

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Sat Oct 22 13:19:10 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-10-21 at 17:54 +0100, Dave Fisher wrote:
> So what's the safe (non-roulette) way to keep up to date?
>
> I've stuck with Debian-based systems for the last dozen years or so,
> precisely because I don't consider re-installs to be any kind of
> 'opportunity'.

Quite agree. To be honest it's been a long time since Linux was a hobby,
and I rely 100% on a working machine to keep the lights on and the kids
fed.

> Nor do I consider restoring from back-ups to be an interesting way to
> pass the time.

Me neither, although I had my laptop HDD drop dead the other day and it
wasn't *too* painful working off the live CD while it restored.

> OTOH, I think I'm getting towards the end of my tether with Ubuntu.

I was getting there, but since I worked out how to get the menus back
back at the top of the window (not the top of the screen), re-gained
focus-follows-mouse and I'm much happier now.

I'm not terribly impressed with the performance though, and Unity
doesn't seem like a step forward at all. Long live Gnome 2 IMO.

James