[Wylug-discuss] Wylug-discuss Digest, Vol 78, Issue 7

Dave Fisher davef at davefisher.co.uk
Sat Oct 22 13:55:46 UTC 2011

On 22 October 2011 14:18, James Holden <wylug at jamesholden.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-10-21 at 17:54 +0100, Dave Fisher wrote:
>> OTOH, I think I'm getting towards the end of my tether with Ubuntu.
>
> I was getting there, but since I worked out how to get the menus back
> back at the top of the window (not the top of the screen), re-gained
> focus-follows-mouse and I'm much happier now.

I did all of that (plus I've got the menus at the top of the screen)
but I'm still pissed off, since much of the panel (and other basic
gnom/metacity) functionality is still missing.
For example, the absence of the workspace switcher/indicator may seem
trivial, but I use cursor keys for workspace switching and one of
those keys is broken on my laptop, so mouse-pointing on the switcher
would be a handy backup.

> I'm not terribly impressed with the performance though, and Unity
> doesn't seem like a step forward at all. Long live Gnome 2 IMO.

I'm glad it's not only me who thinks the performance is poor.

Frankly it's killing my wrists, i.e. having to correct and repeat
because the keystroke hasn't registered or the focus hasn't yet moved
to where I sent it.

Dave