[Wylug-discuss] Laptops again

Roger Greenwood rg at nthong.co.uk
Sun Oct 23 20:01:01 UTC 2011

Hi All,

Thanks for the comments. To update you, I got 2 machines (Lenovo Z570),
one for me and one for my son. No problem with the default install of
ubuntu from an existing USB stick, and then upgrade to 11.10, except my
usual problem of no wireless. Why is this such a pain every time for me?!!!
Long story short, onboard wireless is still no go, but USB dongle works
fine, as does "3" phone dongle, and of course wired networking. The
network signal can be seen, but won't connect. Had to unload the acer
kernel modules first to even get this far - seems like a common problem.

Currently using XFCE desktop for reasons discussed at length in another
thread - can't get on with unity yet, but I will keep trying it as it is
so shiny :)

Last I looked they still had a few machines left, but the price has gone
up a bit (CCL). If anyone is interested I can p