[Wylug-discuss] UEFI

Türker Sezer turkersezer at tsdesign.info
Sun Oct 23 23:22:39 UTC 2011

Hi all,

Short explanation about UEFI; with secure start option of UEFI -which is new bios software which will become widespread next year- boot, binary and device drivers which doesn't contain valid signature -authorized organization is not definite- will be blocked at hardware level. This feature must be on as default to get "Windows 8 compatible" badge. So most of producers started to use UEFI in their products.

This means -even it can be disabled from bios settings- that we can't install Linux until we find this option in bios and disable it in new computers. And any other O/S except Windows 8 can't be installed on some laptops which doesn't contain detailed bios features.

For this reason, i suggest you attend the petition of FSF:
http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/secure-boot-vs-restricted-boot

And i want to ask what we can do to create awareness?

--
Türker Sezer
TS Design Informatics

http://www.tsdesign.info/