[Wylug-discuss] UEFI

Andrew Lindley andrew at andrewlindley.co.uk
Mon Oct 24 16:21:17 UTC 2011

I suspect a mouse-o means this has not reached the mailing list.
Apologies if this is a duplicate in your inbox.

OK first a *very big* IANAL here.

The 'UEFI thing' I mention in relation to Prof. Anderson is
specifically the 'secure boot' UEFI feature and yes there are very
likely other aspects of UEFI that are technically desirable for the
Linux kernel.

Prof. Anderson's statement that Microsoft logo-ing this feature is
'clearly unlawful' is entirely consistent with the training on EU
competition law I received in my days as a (Consent Decree era) IBM
employee.  Put simply if you're in a dominant position in a market in
an EU region you cannot do things that affect 'the playing field' for
others willy nilly. Another IANAL for good measure.  Changing things
to prevent dual-boot would fall under that as well.

I'll temper this with a statement that clearly the IBM training was
designed to ensure the consent decree 100% compliance 0 failures wrt
the law and so was very very no risks oriented.  In my old job I'd be
confident of getting a logo-ing with mandatory secure boot admin
control past the company lawyers. But short of ages searching the only
thing I can turn up that is relevant is that the Australians are
having a go at UEFI secure boot for logo-ing under their consumer
rights.  If anyone has links to where the EU law dimension of this has
been addressed I'd be very interested in hearing.

Leny