[Wylug-discuss] Wylug-discuss Digest, Vol 78, Issue 15

Simon Whiteley simonkwhiteley at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 01:55:36 UTC 2011

> So what's the safe (non-roulette) way to keep up to date?
>
> I've stuck with Debian-based systems for the last dozen years or so,
> precisely because I don't consider re-installs to be any kind of
> 'opportunity'.
>
> Nor do I consider restoring from back-ups to be an interesting way to
> pass the time.
>
> OTOH, I think I'm getting towards the end of my tether with Ubuntu.
>
> Dave

The safe way to update is to only do it when you feel you have to, for
security reasons or a particular version of something.  If you do not
clean the cache that pacman stores packages in then you can downgrade
packages as necessary.  There is also the Arch Rollback Machine which I
do not know very much about I'm afraid.

I read the Arch news and watch the mailing lists and update as necessary
nowadays,  there is lots of info about what packages are updated and if you
are really paranoid you can set up a VM and do safe updates before applying
updates to any critical systems.

I really think I may have over played the danger of pacman roulette and
scared you a little.  I can only recommend asking in the Arch forums to see
what other users do with their critical systems and actually trying Arch on
a non critical system for yourself.

All the best,

Simon.