[Wylug-discuss] Elland

Clive Hills discordianuk at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 22:13:25 UTC 2011

Right
Let me introduce myself before I begin : I'm Clive Hills and I've used Linux
daily since SLS (SoftLanding Systems)'s distro which came on 40 odd 3.5"
floppy disks back in 1992.
Mostly I've used RedHat derived OSes since then (RedHat Linux,Mandrake,RHEL,
CentOS) and on my desktop/laptop these days I use Fedora.
I did minicomputer OSes (Pick,Sovereign) and Unix(SVR2 onwards on ICL DRS
kit, SunOS from 4.1, Pyramids DC/OSX) and some mainframe stuff (a bit of ICL
VME/B) and some Siemens BS6000 (essentially comparable to IBM MVT) on
mainframes before the Linux epoch.

I know very little about the world of PCDOS and Windows (I've had the
misfortune to use them at work and even adminster a multi-national/worldwide
ADS tree setup but I'd rather forget that).

I used to work as a systems programmer/sysadmin in London but I've moved up
here now. (It's a long story)
I'm now disabled which is why I've not been to meetings yet. I don't get out
much.

The reason for my post: I'm moving soon to Elland (I live in LudFoot now)
I'm wondering if there are any other folk around Elland and whether I could
perhaps organise a sub group in Elland when I move there (I'm thinking
meetings in the Library or maybe a pub function room). I see very little LUG
activity in Halifax or Huddersfield at present.

I'm thinking in addition to WYLUG activities not *instead* of.

Open to thoughts and suggestions.

Clive