[Wylug-discuss] advice on ebook reader or similar...

Dave Fisher wylug-discuss at davefisher.co.uk
Thu Sep 22 10:01:40 UTC 2011

On 22 September 2011 10:52, graydebowen at tiscali.co.uk
<graydebowen at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> I have had an iPad since it first came out and it is a fine piece of
> kit. It will read PDFs on iBooks but GoodReader does a better job with
> larger files and allows loading over wifi.  Of course you cannot run
> iTunes on Linux and you will need to run this at least once to set up
> the iPad.  After that you can access Stanza or GoodReader through
> wifi.
>
> I have toyed with the idea of buying one of the cheaper Android tablets
> but some had build or battery life issues.  I am sure that the more
> expensive Android devices are fine but then you are in the same price
> league as the iPad.

As you know, texts are pretty readable on tablets and the better
quality (oled) larger phones

... but honestly, the reading experience is poor in comparison to e-ink.

By all means, buy such devices for the convenience of carrying just
one slab of silicon around, but no-one should be under the illusion
(as I once was) that fondleslabs do the job as well as e-ink.

Dave