[Wylug-discuss] advice on ebook reader or similar...

Richard Ibbotson richard.ibbotson at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 22 10:06:54 UTC 2011

On Thursday 22 September 2011 10:52:50 graydebowen at tiscali.co.uk
wrote:
> I have toyed with the idea of buying one of the cheaper Android
> tablets but some had build or battery life issues.  I am sure that
> the more expensive Android devices are fine but then you are in
> the same price league as the iPad.

Yes.  I wouldn't want to lead anyone to think that there are not
problems with some of the ePads and battery life.  Mine does six hours
without a recharge.  No hardware problems.  Cost £100.  Made in China.
Android 2.1.   Compatible with my Linux desktop.  I would like to see
an open source project take place around this and similar devices.

I think I would stress to anyone who is thinking about buying an e-
reader device that battery life between charges is a very important
factor.  The Kindle gets around this issue.  I might just buy one so
that I have both an ePad and a Kindle.  I'm afraid throwing money away
on an iPad isn't for me.  Just filling a rubbish dump somehwhere.  Low
cost device=filling a rubbish dump but the tought that something GPL'd
might arrive is in the back of my mind.

--
Richard