[Wylug-discuss] advice on ebook reader or similar...

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Thu Sep 22 10:26:58 UTC 2011

Dave Fisher writes:

> I finally bought a Kindle last month. ... I can't recommend it more
> highly ... utterly brilliant ... a small, basically simple, device
> that does everything it promises and much more than I'd expected.

Hi Dave. I'm persuaded of the technical and physical merits of a Kindle,
but am concerned by Leeds library saying their e-books don't supporting
it (or it doesn't support them, depending on which way you look at it):
http://www.overdrive.com/resources/drc/Default.aspx?type=ebook
http://leeds.lib.overdrive.com/

> 1. It's proprietary, but easily rootable ...

Have you tried borrowing any e-books from a Leeds library? Browsing the
catalogue suggests they are variously in 'Adobe EPUB eBook' and 'Adobe
PDF eBook' formats. Are these different from normal epub and PDF? Maybe
they have DRM which isn't compatible with the Kindle? If so, would
rooting it help?

Cheers

Smylers
--
Watch fiendish TV quiz 'Only Connect' (some questions by me)
Mondays at 20:30 on BBC4, or iPlayer: http://www.bbc.co.uk/onlyconnect