[Wylug-discuss] advice on ebook reader or similar...

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Thu Sep 22 10:59:46 UTC 2011

Dave writes:

> On 22 September 2011 11:26, Smylers <Smylers at stripey.com> wrote:
>
> > Have you tried borrowing any e-books from a Leeds library? Browsing the
> > catalogue suggests they are variously in 'Adobe EPUB eBook' and 'Adobe
> > PDF eBook' formats. Are these different from normal epub and PDF? Maybe
> > they have DRM which isn't compatible with the Kindle? If so, would
> > rooting it help?
>
> Short answer: I don't know yet ... but I'll find out and report back

Thanks, Dave. Much appreciated.

> From general reading, I suspect that public libraries may well have
> been strong-armed into using only DRM-encumbered epubs.

As much as I'm not a fan of DRM in general, I can understand why
limiting how many people can borrow an e-book at once and how long for
fits in with a library's way of doing things. I wouldn't buy music or a
book which was DRM-encumbered, but this is different and I don't object
to it in the same way.

However, it's irritating if the libraries' choice isn't compatible with
the most popular e-reader, especially since both are closed and
proprietary, so DRM could be made to work.

> In any case, I'd be gob-smacked if the DRM weren't crackable.

Sounds likely, but obviously that's not the sort of thing the library
website would mention!

Cheers

Smylers
--
Watch fiendish TV quiz 'Only Connect' (some questions by me)
Mondays at 20:30 on BBC4, or iPlayer: http://www.bbc.co.uk/onlyconnect