[Wylug-discuss] advice on ebook reader or similar...

Dave Fisher wylug-discuss at davefisher.co.uk
Thu Sep 22 11:30:17 UTC 2011

On 22 September 2011 11:59, Smylers <Smylers at stripey.com> wrote:
> Dave writes:
>
>> On 22 September 2011 11:26, Smylers <Smylers at stripey.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Have you tried borrowing any e-books from a Leeds library? Browsing the
>> > catalogue suggests they are variously in 'Adobe EPUB eBook' and 'Adobe
>> > PDF eBook' formats. Are these different from normal epub and PDF? Maybe
>> > they have DRM which isn't compatible with the Kindle? If so, would
>> > rooting it help?
>>
>> Short answer: I don't know yet ... but I'll find out and report back

OK, it's a bad as one might imagine.

The Leeds library e-books are DRMed and they require "Adobe Digital
Editions" software.

Windows- and Mac-only ... no prospect of a Linux version ... ever.

See http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Digital_Editions

Apparently, crackable with the 'inept' python script

I'm inclined to suggest a WYLUG campaign, since it's basically
impossible to borrow+use these e-books without paying the Windows/Mac
tax ... whatever ebook reader you own

Dave