[Wylug-discuss] IPlayer Downloads on Linux (Was: advice on ebook reader or similar...)

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Thu Sep 22 12:39:08 UTC 2011

Paul Brook writes:

> > (Though actually, even that should be possible. Obviously what you
> > say is true about open-source software, but the providers could
> > distribute pre-compiled closed-source Linux software which handled
> > the DRM. BBC IPlayer works fine on Linux like this; you can download
> > TV programmes to watch disconnected from the internet, and the
> > software handles the rights management such as time limits on
> > viewing.)
>
> You mean using get_iplayer ?

No.

> My understanding is that has approximately nothing to do with the BBC,

I mean doing it the way the BBC intend, using official BBC-provided
software.

Start at a programme you wish to watch. Say this one, to take an
entirely non-random example (and which I just happen to be in the
credits for): http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b014v3qq/

Ignore the facility for playing in your browser and click 'Download
options', then 'For iPlayer Desktop'. The first time that will take you
to a page to download the IPlayer Desktop application.

That should identify that you're running Linux and offer appropriate
software. It worked fine for me: I downloaded and installed it, and it
works fine.

That it exists officially, and that downloaded programmes do expire,
implies that there the programmes' rights holders are happy with this
arrangement and that there is some DRM happening.

Cheers

Smylers
--
Watch fiendish TV quiz 'Only Connect' (some questions by me)
Mondays at 20:30 on BBC4, or iPlayer: http://www.bbc.co.uk/onlyconnect