[Wylug-discuss] advice on ebook reader or similar...

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Thu Sep 22 12:51:56 UTC 2011

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011, Richard Ibbotson wrote:

> On Thursday 22 September 2011 13:28:27 Smylers wrote:
>> Sorry if these are a silly questions, but I've only heard of
>> Android being a mobile phone OS. Are there any e-ink devices which
>> are Android- based? And does using an Android device mean having
>> to download the e-books over a mobile phone data connection rather
>> than using wi-fi?
>
> It's a lot like using Linux on the desktop.  I use mine at home with a
> wired network and wi-fi.  Great for travelling.  Use it anywhere.  The
> ebook reader software looks just about the same on both Android and
> Linux.  You can do a lot with Android without paying for software.

I know of no e-ink Android devices.  I thought there was a nook that was, but
I think the nook is about as unandroidy as an android device can get.

>> We'd only be interested in buying a device with a one-off purchase
>> where any downloads go through our existing broadband connection,
>> not committing ourselves to further data charges. And from what
>> you and others have said, it's only the e-ink which makes a device
>> a viable alternative to reading physical books.
>
> Don't know if I agree with Dave about that.  For outdoor use in bright
> light probably but my Android device just about does that anyway.

Personally I'd say e-ink absolutely canes LCD screens for being a book
replacement, so I'd agree 100% with Dave.  The only case I've found e-ink to
be less good is in very low light where you've not got access to another light
source, but that's much the same with an actual book.

jh