[Wylug-discuss] advice on ebook reader or similar...

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Thu Sep 22 13:13:49 UTC 2011

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011, Richard Ibbotson wrote:

> Yes.  From the technical point of view I'm not arguing with that.
> From the subjective point of view.  I can get by with Android in all
> but the brightest conditions.

I'm not saying get by though, I'm saying find pleasant to use.  You *can* read
stuff on a backlit LCD screen in quite a range of lighting conditions, but in
terms of comfort, e-ink really is quite unique.

> Which is why I might buy a Kindle.
> Depending on where I'm going to I might take either or both.  Both of
> them are small lightweight devices that fit into a bag.  Both of them
> can do e-mail.  Kindle has a webkit browser.

The browser is a cruft that just about works.  I wouldn't plan on using it in
anything other than borderline emergencies, it's not a fun experience.

jh