[Wylug-discuss] advice on ebook reader or similar...

Dave Fisher wylug-discuss at davefisher.co.uk
Thu Sep 22 17:13:40 UTC 2011

On 22 September 2011 16:01, John Hodrien <J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk> wrote:
> The only case I've found e-ink to be less good is in very low light where you've not got access to another light source, but that's much the same with an actual book.

I'm partly repeating myself here, but to reinforce a point that got
slightly shaded out earlier.

Amazon's Kindle leather cover with LED lighting is a must-have accessory.

When I left the shop, I felt as if I'd been somewhat brow-beaten by
salesman into buying it ... mostly because in my mind's eye I was
thinking of the effect angled spotlights have on shiny LCD screens.

But e-ink screens are not only matt-finished, they are practically
impervious to glare.

The pull-out LED spotlight is superbly positioned and engineered.

It rises only millimetres above the screen level, but distributes
light fairly evenly across the whole screen, without spilling out into
the surrounding room.

The brightness is practically ideal ... more than sufficient to read,
but insufficient to strain the eyes or to 'blind' you when switching
focus from the screen to the rest of a darkened room.

I've read a lot of paper books in the dark using a head torch ... this
is significantly more comfortable.

And in darkened conditions, retracting the LED switches the device off
... no need to fumble around in the dark for the off-switch, when all
you really want is to put your head down and go to sleep.

Dave