[Wylug-discuss] Running Windows with VirtualBox

Paul Brook paul at codesourcery.com
Fri Feb 3 14:26:42 UTC 2012

> Any guidance for how to do this? Or more specifically, for anything I
> should do to snaffle the Windows image from the computer before
> splatting Linux all over it?
>
> I'm guessing that Windows installation discs won't be supplied (not
> least of which cos the laptop doesn't have a CD/DVD drive), so I
> presumably need to capture the installed Windows first thing in order to
> have any chance of running it later, yes?

I wouldn't bother.  Windows doesn't like you moving the hardware underneath
it.  The same is true when moving a disk between different physical machines,
but even more so for a virtual machine as the virtual system is almost
completely different to whatever real hardware windows is expecting.  In some
cases it's possible to get it working, but it far from simple, especially with
OEM images.

Obtain proper installater images and install the same way you would on any
other random new machine.

Lack of useful installation media and validity/portability of software
licences is something you should take up with whoever sold you the software.
I don't know whether OEM licences are even valid for use on virtual machines,
that's someting you should take up with your lawer.

Paul