[Wylug-discuss] Running Windows with VirtualBox

Paul Brook paul at codesourcery.com
Fri Feb 3 14:41:12 UTC 2012

> I wouldn't bother.  Windows doesn't like you moving the hardware underneath
> it.  The same is true when moving a disk between different physical
> machines, but even more so for a virtual machine as the virtual system is
> almost completely different to whatever real hardware windows is
> expecting.  In some cases it's possible to get it working, but it far from
> simple, especially with OEM images.

To be clear, I'm not just talking about easy things like video drivers.
There's a fair chance you'll need to switch to a different HAL.  I.e. the low-
level abstraction layer running underneath the kernel.  IIRC dong this
involves booting a rescue environment from a CD you don't have, and making
arcane changes to the early windows boot process from there.

Paul