[Wylug-discuss] Running Windows with VirtualBox

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Sat Feb 4 09:16:55 UTC 2012

A J Cole writes:

> > Following suggestions I'm going to go with a dual boot set-up
> > initially, cos that seems like the least hassle that avoids
> > clobbering Windows -- thereby leaving the option open for later
> > trying VMWare Converter on it.
>
> If the disk is large enough for your two requirements (Linux +
> Windows) I would go with that.

Well Windows is barely a 'requirement'; I just thought having the option
might come in handy.

> I would ... check if the VMware Converter route was viable ... then
> install Fedora and VMware Server (it needs hacking) ... If it won't
> virtualise now it is most unlikely to in the future.

Indeed. But the big advantage of trying later is that it takes less time
now! And comments like "(it needs hacking)" certainly sound like they
could get time-consuming.

When my new laptop arrives my priority is to get it set up as a
functioning Linux computer as soon as possible, then get on with using
it to do useful work, with the minimum of faffing about and distraction
with unnecessary tasks.

Shrinking the provided Windows installation but leaving it on the disk
means that I'm not preventing myself from trying virtualizing Windows in
the future if I wish (which installing Ubuntu over the top of Windows
might), but equally it avoids spending any time on it right now.

Cheers

Smylers
--
http://twitter.com/Smylers2