[Wylug-discuss] [OT] windows gripes...

Andrew J Cole ajcole at ajcole.org
Fri Feb 17 20:32:53 UTC 2012

Jim,

Your tale of woe just prevented me suggesting to two people. using Vista,
that they should update their Java version and then ignore any griping
(from Secunia) that the version they have installed is a security risk
til; they next see me (don't really want to have them using the control
panel to remove the old version - somehow update 20 wasn't removed by
they next update and needs to be removed from the CP).

btw I normally suggest that they use

	http://java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp

and then if offered follow the on-line update path.

>[1] Ok another gripe, at one time it would be aimed at MS, but now I aim it
>at alot graphical applications. Why are error messages flagged up in a
>jolly little window that doesn't allow one to cut n' paste the error
>message! You have to type the ****** thing out into google (or similar).
><sarcasm>Yes I know the messages look pretty.</sarcasm>

Indeed that commonly used functionality is a pita.  Failed 101 IT Design
graduate of the Homer Simpson University.

Andrew

ps. VMware has a nice trick of saying you have an error in a setting
    which it clearly knows by name but doesn't bother to include in the
    error message.