[Wylug-discuss] Raspberry Pi to run BBC Micro 2

John john at clip-4-win.co.uk
Fri Feb 17 21:10:22 UTC 2012

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 08:48:35PM +0000, linux at sh2515.plus.com wrote:

> What is a good starting/learning language? No argument intended; recommendations?

It depends on what your aims are.  If you mainly want to get a feel for
what software is about in a fairly general sense then maybe Python.
Java wouldn't be terrible, I think.

If you're hoping to be very involved with software, you'll need to learn
or at least experience several languages (probably many).  You still
have to start somewhere and maybe Python would do.

If you happened at heart to be a hardware guy wanting to do lowish level
things with embedded stuff, I'd go for C.

Instead of Python you could go for C.  People have tons of arguments
against it but hey just one person's thoughts.

All the experts seem to hate Basic but some of them aren't too bad.
Better than Perl (and that'll likely start trouble).

If you're mainly going to be self-taught, get some good stuff to learn
from about why to do things in "good" ways and what the bad things would
be.  Books, even.  You can read too little but probably can't read too
much.

John