[Wylug-discuss] Which? magazine

Paul Brook paul at codesourcery.com
Thu Feb 23 11:22:25 UTC 2012

> > I also think it's a mistake to focus too much on passing things on.  How
> > many of us actually want to listen to our grandparent's music collection
> > ;-)  IMHO a more pressing concern is that when the
> > phone/tablet/application/service you used to purchase the licence dies
> > (or is eaten), then there's a good chance your DRM key wil go with it.
>
> Exactly.  I want to be able to convert formats and whatever else is
> needed (such as DRM keys) to move devices/media to retain my ownership.
> And I want to do that with a minimum of fuss and no expense.

Which is exactly what DRM is designed to prevent.  Specifically that you (the
user) should never have access to the key.  Access to that content is
controlled by someone else.

As soon as you have access to the key then it's trivial to strip the DRM, and
the whole system becomes void.  Of course you also need the key to play the
file, but DRM vendors use as many layers of obfuscation and legal threats as
they can find to try and prevent you noticing that.

Paul