[Wylug-discuss] What the Unity Desktop is really for?

Anne Wilson anne at lydgate.org
Tue Jan 10 10:45:58 UTC 2012

On 09/01/12 14:16, Dave Fisher wrote:
> http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/372040/ubuntu-tv-unveiled
>
> Why not just drop the 'desktop' bit from the name, and be honest
> about it?

I'm not a Ubuntu user, so maybe no right to answer in this thread :-)

I understood that the idea is that a single interface should be
available wherever a user wants to work.  I'd hate that, myself, but
then I tend to have a geeky outlook.  I can believe that for the
majority of computer users that would sound like a very good idea.

If that's really the idea, perhaps the only thing needed is a simple way
of getting the more traditional interface as an option, assuming that
you are sufficiently experienced to follow the requirements, which most
people wanting to make the change would be.

Anne