[Wylug-discuss] Digital scrapbook ideas?

John R Hudson j.r.hudson at virginmedia.com
Tue Jan 10 12:42:22 UTC 2012

On Tuesday 10 January 2012 11:46:50 Dave Fisher wrote:
> There are any number of systems out there for grabbing, tagging and
> retrieving casual notes, in fact that's the problem: far too many for
> an individual to survey without filtering.
>
> I'm looking for something like a hybrid of post-it style apps and a
> portable wiki, i.e. I want to capture 1-line ideas, references, URLs
> etc, but I want to be able to review, tag and organise them later
> without having to copy and paste stuff from a post-it style app into a
> wiki.
>
> One (of many) use cases would be for constructing writer's notes,
> which can then be turned into outlines, for editing into formal texts.
>
> I've been toying with the idea of a personalised version of
> TiddlyWiki, since I really like the idea of a server-less portable
> wiki, but I'm a bit worried about the scalability of what looks like a
> single HTML file + javascript.
>
> My other concern is how to get the more organised/tagged data out of
> the database/wiki into something like LaTeX for the writing, without
> having to write a lot of new software myself.
>
> Anyone got any thoughts?
>
> Dave
With many use cases, Tomboy might be what you need; but, if your main use case
is writing - which is mine - I store all references and URLs (as @MISC -
example below) in a BibTeX file and enter one line ideas as a section heading
in a LaTeX file; then I use the LyX outliner to move, promote or demote them.

LyX 2 is greatly improved as a writer's tool and its LaTeX import/export has
worked flawlessly for me so far - in contrast with the earlier versions. So it
would be fairly painless to set up a LaTeX file with each idea as a section
heading and then import it into LyX 2 to manipulate them.

John
--
@MISC{hpcregulation,
   author = "{Health Professions Council}",