[Wylug-discuss] Digital scrapbook ideas?

Dave Fisher davef at davefisher.co.uk
Tue Jan 10 14:40:05 UTC 2012

On 10 January 2012 12:42, John R Hudson <j.r.hudson at virginmedia.com> wrote:
> With many use cases, Tomboy might be what you need; but, if your main use case
> is writing - which is mine - I store all references and URLs (as @MISC -
> example below) in a BibTeX file and enter one line ideas as a section heading
> in a LaTeX file; then I use the LyX outliner to move, promote or demote them.
>
> LyX 2 is greatly improved as a writer's tool and its LaTeX import/export has
> worked flawlessly for me so far - in contrast with the earlier versions. So it
> would be fairly painless to set up a LaTeX file with each idea as a section
> heading and then import it into LyX 2 to manipulate them.
>
> @MISC{hpcregulation,
>   author = "{Health Professions Council}",
>   title = "Position statement: regulation of psychotherapists and
> counsellors",
>   howpublished = "{\url {http://www.hpc-
> uk.org/mediaandevents/statements/psychotherapistscounsellors/}}",
>   month = "10~" # "December",
>   year = 2009,
>   note = " ",
> }

Thanks John, I think I might look into this option.

Despite (or maybe 'because of') being a long-standing LaTeX fan, I
truly hated Lyx in its early incarnations,

I've barely considered giving it another look, but good import/export
for real LaTeX/TeX definitely makes the idea more attractive.

What's the learning curve like?

Dave