[Wylug-discuss] Vim on Debian -- British English UTF-8 spell checking and completion

Dave Fisher wylug-discuss at davefisher.co.uk
Mon Jan 30 20:40:49 UTC 2012

Hi,

Can anyone recommend some 'rich' and sound settings for getting decent
british spell checking and completion in Vim?

E.g. which dictionary/wordlist debian packages are worth using? any
special tricks for invoking them?

Also, can someone explain why the following setting in my vimrc file
doesn't work?

  set spelllang=en_gb.utf-8

Produces:

  Warning: Cannot find word list "en_gb.utf-8.utf-8.spl" or
"en_gb.utf-8.ascii.spl"

I presume this is a simple path/url issue, but I'm struggling to find
the solution via google.

Dave