[Wylug-discuss] Vim on Debian -- British English UTF-8 spell checking and completion

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Mon Jan 30 20:57:11 UTC 2012

Dave Fisher writes:

> Hi, Can anyone recommend some 'rich' and sound settings for getting
> decent british spell checking and completion in Vim?
>
> E.g. which dictionary/wordlist debian packages are worth using? any
> special tricks for invoking them?

I just used the default, and have been reasonably happy with them.
There's a bunch of words I've added over the years that I might've
expected would be in the dictionary, but that's been a minor
inconvenience.

> Also, can someone explain why the following setting in my vimrc file
> doesn't work?
>
>   set spelllang=en_gb.utf-8

No, but I can tell you that I have:

  set spelllang=en_gb

So you could try that.

> Produces:
>
>   Warning: Cannot find word list "en_gb.utf-8.utf-8.spl"

The repeated ".utf-8.utf-8" in there suggests one them is the ".utf-8"
you typed and one is being appended by Vim, which would back up the
suggestion of removing it from your setting.

Smylers
--
http://twitter.com/Smylers2