[Wylug-discuss] Vim on Debian -- British English UTF-8 spell checking and completion

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Tue Jan 31 11:27:01 UTC 2012

Dave Fisher writes:

> On 30 January 2012 22:14, Smylers <Smylers at stripey.com> wrote:
>
> > vim-nox depends on vim-runtime, which should include the spelling
> > dictionaries files and put them in the same place as used by
> > vim-gnome and the other variants.
>
> vim-runtime ... does contain this:
>
> /usr/share/vim/vim72/spell/en.utf-8.spl
>
> i.e. no GB

That's OK; I don't either and en-gb works for me. I'm guessing all the
en-* variants are in the one file.

And if I set spelllang=pt_br (to pick an example I don't have) Vim
complains about not being able to find pt.utf-8.spl, so for en-gb it's
presumably looking for the file you mention above.

> Hmmm ... replacing 'vim-nox' with plain old 'vim' does the trick,
> although it's using exactly the same spl files from 'vim-runtime'.

That's just bizarre. I really don't understand how removing X support
would also prevent Vim from finding the spelling files!

> It's certainly handling British spellings correctly, but I think I'm
> going to need a bigger vocabulary eventually.
>
> That's a job for another day.

I haven't found it to be too much of a problem, cos any words you use
frequently you add to the dictionary the first time they are highlighted
(type zg with the cursor on te word) and then they don't bother you any
more. (And obviously infrequently used words aren't much of a problem,
since they only crop up ... infrequently.)

Cheers

Smylers