[Wylug-discuss] Vim on Debian -- British English UTF-8 spell checking and completion

Paul Brook paul at codesourcery.com
Tue Jan 31 11:52:20 UTC 2012

> > Hmmm ... replacing 'vim-nox' with plain old 'vim' does the trick,
> > although it's using exactly the same spl files from 'vim-runtime'.
>
> That's just bizarre. I really don't understand how removing X support
> would also prevent Vim from finding the spelling files!

Debian has several versions of Vim compiled with different feature sets.  My
guess is vim-nox is one of the smaller subsets, though it does claim to have
scripting support.

Annother possibility is that you pulled in some other package, or changed a
default in the process of installing the "vim" package.  The "vim" package
Suggests:"vim-scripts", where as "vim-nox" does not.  I've also been bitten by
it switching into really-dumb-vi compatibility mode if configured/invoked the
wrong way.

Paul