[Wylug-discuss] Commercial grade PHP applications

Robert Burrell Donkin robertburrelldonkin at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 06:49:35 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 12:24 PM, Glenn Glidden <glenn at glidden.org.uk> wrote:

<snip>

> Maybe the answer is that there are these products that are used by big
> organisations

Would you describe Facebook as big?

I suppose it depends on what you mean by big. PHP is core to several
rich and successful companies

> (Open University now use Moodle as well I believe) so just look at how they do it.

PHP can be abused with very little training

AIUI Facebook uses top CompSci graduates to code in PHP and very tight
Agile->lean self-organising teams with TDD, BDD and DevOps. (Though
it's hard to be sure since FBs a very tight ship)

IIRC there are folks over in NorthWest with PHP-based schools admin
software, and some strong developers

However, if you're looking to learn a language and develop a school
admin system I strongly recommend coding in Ruby on Rails (and I
mostly work in Java)

Robert