[Wylug-discuss] Gnome 3 Review

Simon Brown lists at 700c.org
Wed Mar 21 15:17:29 UTC 2012

At Wed, 21 Mar 2012 13:56:15 +0000,
David Holden wrote:
> Personally, I've kind of got used to gnome 3, after tweaking with
> extensions. From a business user point of view however, the disregard
> for current users from both KDE and Gnome have us questioning where we
> go on the desktop top in the next year. I've even heard talk of
> returning to Windows from some round here.

Windows would seem a little rash as isn't it about to go through a big
change as well with Windows 8?

It looks like the public appetite for tablets and touch based
interfaces is only going to grow in the near future. It seems to have
revealed the fact that most people spend much more time consuming than
they do creating.

I think the Gnome 3, Unity and windows 8 critics are being somewhat
short sighted. Keyboard users, such as myself, are soon going to find
themselves as a minority amongst computer users. Perhaps we are
already. FOSS user interfaces do their development in full public
view, they're not going to get right first time. If they don't make
any changes, they'll soon find themselves irrelevant. There may well
be more touch based phones in use today than there are keyboard driven
computers.

I think we should reserve judgement until MS bring out the first
service pack for Windows 8 (tablet/ARM edition). By then I think the
experimental phase can be regarded as over.

Simon