[Wylug-discuss] Gnome 3 Review

Dave Fisher davef at davefisher.co.uk
Wed Mar 21 17:12:43 UTC 2012

On 21 March 2012 15:26, Christopher McLean <C.J.McLean at leeds.ac.uk> wrote:

I think that you have just, inadvertently, put your finger on exactly
what is wrong with these new interfaces, i.e. you have to remember
stuff.

Search driven control is always bonkers when there's any degree of
heterogeneity in naming ... which there usually is.

No-one remembers commands unless they use them all the time, and even
then their usage tends to degrade into cargo cult repetition.

I'd be gobsmacked if most wylug members don't use shorthand CLI
options which they long ago forgot the meanings of.

> Change is always scary, but once you are used to it, you notice it can be better

I like to think that I'm more predisposed to 'the new' than most
people, and I was actually looking forward to the graphical simplicity
of Gnome3/Unity.

After 6 months of trying to work productively with Unity, I gave up
... although part of that was down to the general graphical bloat
(compiz, etc).

I might give them a short retry in another 6 months time, but for now,
they're completely gone from my machines.