[Wylug-discuss] Virgin broadband (North East Leeds)

Andrew J Cole ajcole at ajcole.org
Wed Mar 28 15:17:16 UTC 2012

Ray,

>Virgin are referring to the throughput of the router rather than its ability to support a 100 Mb or 10Mb connection. Some old routers will not support 30 Mb of actual traffic. In fact the Virgin service is really 32 Mb and in LS28 I regularly see examples of data being delivered at very nearly full line rate  when the other end of the connection can supply it.

I belivee the Virgin (HelpDesk) twittering about speed is pure subterfuge
on their part.  I will have to pop round and see what speed the existing
cable modem delivers - I am betting it is 10Mb.

Still it can't do much harm letting them replace ir with a (free) Super
Hub - as long as the engineer makes it secire.

>The Virgin Super Hub is a Netgear router with built-in cable modem.

Just been looking at that Virgin page for their Super Hub - it saves you
one power connection and they even supply a spanner for you to ruin the
coax connector.

	What is the Virgin Media Super Hub?
	http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1002&PARTITION_ID=1&TIMEZONE_OFFSET=&USERTYPE=1&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=&CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=345044

Andrew