[Wylug-discuss] [WYLUG-DISCUSS] Stuck with Ubuntu?

Mike Goodman mikegoodman1 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 17:17:37 UTC 2012

At last I've got round to buying a 64 bit box, which gives me the
impetus to swap distros. Ubuntu fails to keep up to date with new
versions of apps in its nominally LTS releases and I don't want the
hassle of an (non-LTS) upgrade every 6 months. So from earlier
discussions on the list, I decided to try CentOS-6.2. But my new
machine has a Gigabyte mobo and the CentOS compilers haven't got
around to adding EFI El Torito support to the mkisofs command yet. I'm
not pretending to understand what that means in its entirety but I
most definitely understand this implication - CentOS will not install
on my shiny new machine. Not wanting to install Ubuntu, for which the
live CD does work, I've reverted to the old 32 bit box for now.

Going back to earlier discussions of Ubuntu unhappiness, including
what I understood to be a mass migration from the distro, have any of
you found good alternatives with reasonable lifespans between
upgrades? Or do I have to wait for v6.3? Seems the developers are
aware of the problem but I have no idea when 6.3, which will contain
the cure, will be released.

TIA. Mike