[Wylug-discuss] Virgin broadband (North East Leeds)

Martin Rowe dbg400.net at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 15:35:24 UTC 2012

On 28 March 2012 16:21, Will Newton <will.newton at gmail.com> wrote:
> You will also need the SuperHub to get 30Mb (AFAICR) and above, as it
> is the only Virgin supplied modem that fully supports DOCSIS 3. Older
> modems still work but will be slower.

(and this one - reply-to-list vs reply-to-sender mutter, grumble)

Actually their older VMNG300 modem managed the 50mbit service fine -
they appear to want everyone on the same kit to make support 'easier'.
They swapped mine out for a superhub as standard practice. I run my
superhub in modem-mode, with a NetGear WNR3500L router (running Tomato
firmware) taking care of wireless/firewall duties. From the volume of
postings in the VM forums the superhub is/was not well liked,
particularly before they introduced new firmware that just turned it
into a glorified modem. (with very bright, very annoying LEDs)

Regards, Martin
--
martin at dbg400.net  http://www.dbg400.net
AS/400 | iSeries | System i Open Source/Free Software