[Wylug-discuss] Virgin broadband (North East Leeds)

Will Newton will.newton at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 15:40:50 UTC 2012

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 4:35 PM, Martin Rowe <dbg400.net at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 28 March 2012 16:21, Will Newton <will.newton at gmail.com> wrote:
>> You will also need the SuperHub to get 30Mb (AFAICR) and above, as it
>> is the only Virgin supplied modem that fully supports DOCSIS 3. Older
>> modems still work but will be slower.
>
> (and this one - reply-to-list vs reply-to-sender mutter, grumble)
>
> Actually their older VMNG300 modem managed the 50mbit service fine -
> they appear to want everyone on the same kit to make support 'easier'.
> They swapped mine out for a superhub as standard practice. I run my
> superhub in modem-mode, with a NetGear WNR3500L router (running Tomato
> firmware) taking care of wireless/firewall duties. From the volume of
> postings in the VM forums the superhub is/was not well liked,
> particularly before they introduced new firmware that just turned it
> into a glorified modem. (with very bright, very annoying LEDs)

I must admit to being hazy on the details of which package I actually
have (which may be why my wife thinks I'm some kind of profligate
wastrel) but when I was upgraded to my current package my old modem
certainly wasn't up to the job and I reluctantly upgraded to the
SuperHub. Annoying bright lights and awkward size/stand aside it has
been ok for me (again just using it in modem mode).