[Wylug-discuss] [WYLUG-DISCUSS] Stuck with Ubuntu?

Nigel Metheringham nigel at dotdot.it
Thu Mar 29 07:56:27 UTC 2012

I think you are asking for 2 contradictory things.

Either you want long term stability - stuff not changing all the time -
or you want bleeding edge.  The trouble is that everyone ends up asking
for a stable base with their particular most loved apps kept completely
up to date (and everyone has a different set of most loved apps).

The enterprise stable distributions (RHEL, Centos, Ubuntu LTS, SLES etc)
give system stability and *security maintenance*, but not feature
maintenance.

At the other end are distributions like Fedora (we boot most of the
time) - proudly on the bleeding edge.

If you want something in between its often easiest to take the stable
base and maintain your own specific stuff on top - this is why I tend to
deploy applications on Centos, but have a complete perl stack that I
maintain and deploy to them on top.

	Nigel.
--
[ Nigel Metheringham ------------------------------ nigel at dotdot.it ]
[                 Ellipsis Intangible Technologies                  ]