[Wylug-discuss] [WYLUG-DISCUSS] Stuck with Ubuntu?

Mike Goodman mikegoodman1 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 08:40:21 UTC 2012

On 29 March 2012 08:56, Nigel Metheringham <nigel at dotdot.it> wrote:

> or you want bleeding edge.
I do not.

>The trouble is that everyone ends up asking
> for a stable base with their particular most loved apps kept completely
> up to date (and everyone has a different set of most loved apps).
Possibly true of many folk. All I ask is that apps are kept
**reasonably** up to date, i.e. not allowed to fall impossibly behind.

> The enterprise stable distributions (RHEL, Centos, Ubuntu LTS, SLES etc)
> give system stability and *security maintenance*, but not feature
> maintenance.
If anything is to be taken from earlier WYLUG list discussions this is
not entirely true. The RH-based distros, it appears, will upgrade an
app in time for its (the app's) developers to withdraw support from
the version included in a still supported distro. That is sufficient
for my purposes. My preference is for Debian-based but I have yet to
find one where that is the case.

> At the other end are distributions like Fedora (we boot most of the
> time) - proudly on the bleeding edge.
Which I used to enjoy. Past tense, hence this thread.

> If you want something in between its often easiest to take the stable
> base and maintain your own specific stuff on top - this is why I tend to
> deploy applications on Centos, but have a complete perl stack that I
> maintain and deploy to them on top.
Now there's the rub. I don't need anything beyond the standard,
usually included, apps.

Thanks for the input. Hopefully my needs are a bit clearer now.