[Wylug-discuss] SD Card Formatting

Paul Brook paul at codesourcery.com
Tue May 8 12:14:37 UTC 2012

> Hello. I'm failing to format an SD card. Anybody got any suggestions of
> what to try?
>
> Photos saved to the card were frequently being corrupted:

You've missed an obvious cuprit: the PC card reader.

Either way, I wouldn't waste much effort trying to "fix" it.  Both cards and
readers are cheap.  I strongly recommend you take advantage of this and swap
in replacements to confirm whether they are faulty.

Most likely candidate is the card.  You don't say how old it is, but many SD
cards are poor quality, and wear out extremely quickly.  Unlike magnetic media
which can [sometimes] be revived by a format, for flash the opposite is true.
Once they start to wear out they're only going to get worse.

Even if it's some incompatibility between the card and camera or reader,
messing with the filesystem/partitioning isn't likely to help.  If fact it's
likely to do more harm that good as cards are often sensitive to the
filesystem layout.  They often come with a slightly unusual layout that
happens to match the internal flash layout/controller heuristics.

>   $ sudo mkfs -t vfat /dev/mmcblk0

That's the whole device, not the partition.

Paul