[Wylug-discuss] SD Card Formatting

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Tue May 8 12:37:04 UTC 2012

Paul Brook writes:

> > Hello. I'm failing to format an SD card. Anybody got any suggestions of
> > what to try?
> >
> > Photos saved to the card were frequently being corrupted:
>
> You've missed an obvious cuprit: the PC card reader.

This has happened reading photos on to several different computers.
Also, sometimes the camera also declines to display corrupt photos on
the card. So I'm pretty sure the problem isn't there.

> Most likely candidate is the card.  You don't say how old it is, but
> many SD cards are poor quality, and wear out extremely quickly.

1 year old. A few photos were corrupt the first time the camera is used,
but it took a while for me to identify where the problem was, and the
proportion of corrupt photos has increased since then.

The card has a 10-year guarantee, so I can presumably get it replaced if
it is indeed the card that's faulty.

> >   $ sudo mkfs -t vfat /dev/mmcblk0
>
> That's the whole device, not the partition.

Thanks. What should I have typed?

Smylers
--
http://twitter.com/Smylers2