[Wylug-discuss] SD Card Formatting

John john at clip-4-win.co.uk
Tue May 8 12:52:12 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 08, 2012 at 01:37:03PM +0100, Smylers wrote:
> Paul Brook writes:
>
> > >   $ sudo mkfs -t vfat /dev/mmcblk0
> >
> > That's the whole device, not the partition.
>
> Thanks. What should I have typed?

On a related note, I use sfdisk (you might prefer cfdisk or fdisk)
to list a drive's partitions so I know how it started out (before I
foul it up).

sfdisk can do this in a form (option -d) which you can give back to it
subsequently to recreate the partition structure.

Sadly if you've overwritten the structure this mail will only be of
future use!

You can also dd the first few blocks (or whole drive) to a file to
save the partitioning data, crude though this way is (and it helps to
know how many blocks).

John