[Wylug-discuss] Linux Training

Stephen Franks stephen at franks.org.uk
Wed Apr 3 10:24:51 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I've been lurking on this list for a while, and now summoned the courage to
ask a question.

The background is that I work for a large international IT company, and do
a lot of consulting on Microsoft AD (along with related stuff), including
writing lots of (PowerShell) scripts. I feel I know this area very well,
and might even be the company's most senior AD expert.

I see Linux and related open source software increasing in importance, a
trend I think will continue. I already work with open source experts on
many projects, and I have always tried to bring together the (sometimes
antithetic) Microsoft and open source people I work with.

I'd like to bring up my open source technical skills; with particular
interest in connecting Linux to AD, and also OpenLDAP and identity
management systems. Of course this is ambitious, and it will take more then
just training courses: but that only means I need to get started sooner
rather than later.

To try to teach myself, I have run Linux (mostly Ubuntu and Mint) on my
home computers for years; set up servers (for example I have a DreamPlug
running Apache as a reverse proxy); built a MythTV home DVR; and generally
messed about a lot. I find it all quite fun. :)

So (finally!) my question is: can anyone recommend any training that might
be suitable for me?

I suspect the beginner Linux courses are too simple, but I am aware that
there will be holes in my self-taught knowledge that need filling before I
attempt the more advanced stuff.

For example I've done some Googling, and I reckon I already know most of
the contents of QA's "Essentials of Linux Administration", and I wonder if
I should start with their "Advanced Linux Administration" course. But I
have no idea of the quality of these courses.

Sorry this is a bit long, and I hope it makes sense! All replies and
comments are very welcome.

Incidentally, and to anticipate an obvious point, I can't easily attend the
informal meetings, much as I'd like to. Getting into Leeds in the evenings
is awkward for me.

Many thanks,

Stephen Franks