[Wylug-discuss] Thos. W. Ward

John R. Hudson j.r.hudson at virginmedia.com
Thu Jun 27 20:15:15 UTC 2013

My understanding is that most software was open source until the 1970s
because the universities who maintained most of it shared bug hunting
and patching with users and IBM relied on users to share their expertise
to develop their software.

It was only with the arrival of software that was independent of the
hardware in the 1970s that closed source became the norm.

Or have I missed something?

John

PS Enjoyed the blog as I was living in Sheffield 1969-1971 and remember
Thos. W. Ward.