[Wylug-discuss] Raspberry Pi

sh2515+linux linux at sh2515.plus.com
Wed Nov 20 21:25:10 UTC 2013

On 20.11.2013 21:09, Richard Ibbotson wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 Nov 2013 21:02:21 sh2515+linux wrote:
>> On 20.11.2013 11:53, Richard Ibbotson wrote:
>> > Hello there
>> >
>> > http://youtu.be/o774LMtfeJY
>> >
>> > I thought this might interest someone out there. Did an interview
>> > with
>> > the Raspberry Pi team in Cambridge a few weeks ago. This is the
>> > end result.  A short 15 minute film about the work of Eben
>> > Upton.
>>
>> Great stuff.  You are lucky to have met them. Do you use a RPi?
>
> Not just now but I've ordered one.  Been playing with electronics
> since I was eight years old.  I'll build a few things when it
> arrives.

I have 2 a model b 512mb and a model a.  you may have noticed the help
I have asked for apache, which I am using as a custom NAS box -
downloader with aria2, minidlna, auto backup desktop with WOL in a cron
job at night. Then web services owncloud, gallery3 and starting elgg. It
only will have immediate family using it, so can cope with the sluggish
behaviour. I have played around with other services like bittorrent sync
but found the above suitable for our needs. The model A I am playing
with making a bird camera at the moment, don't know if that will be the
final thing it will be doing.  I am trying to get cheap webcam to use
motion for detection then use camera module to take 5mp image then
record HD film to log in a database for son to find what the bird types
are.

They are good, but I may have bought beaglebone for webserver if doing
it again. If you have the money the udoo looks good, but at that price
is it better to get a microserver?