[Wylug-discuss] Raspberry Pi

Richard Ibbotson richard.ibbotson at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 21:41:47 UTC 2013

On Wednesday 20 Nov 2013 21:25:07 sh2515+linux wrote:
> On 20.11.2013 21:09, Richard Ibbotson wrote:
> > On Wednesday 20 Nov 2013 21:02:21 sh2515+linux wrote:
> I have 2 a model b 512mb and a model a.  you may have noticed the
> help I have asked for apache, which I am using as a custom NAS box
> - downloader with aria2, minidlna, auto backup desktop with WOL in
> a cron job at night. Then web services owncloud, gallery3 and
> starting elgg. It only will have immediate family using it, so can
> cope with the sluggish behaviour. I have played around with other
> services like bittorrent sync but found the above suitable for our
> needs. The model A I am playing with making a bird camera at the
> moment, don't know if that will be the final thing it will be
> doing.  I am trying to get cheap webcam to use motion for
> detection then use camera module to take 5mp image then record HD
> film to log in a database for son to find what the bird types are.

There is a project somewhere that will allow you to plug in a 3G SIM
card.  Which means HD images can be immediately mailed to your phone
or desktop.  GiffGaff offer some good SIM cards.  Sensible prices.  Saves
being rained on or suffering from the cold.

> They are good, but I may have bought beaglebone for webserver if
> doing it again. If you have the money the udoo looks good, but at
> that price is it better to get a microserver?

Not sure.  Would have thought around £100 ?  I was having this
conversation at the Linux Beer Hike in Castleton.  Trying to explain
to them that you needed something like Amazon EC2 with a Pi to make it
serve up web pages effectively.  The person I was trying to explain it
to was a non-technical churchy type who seemed to think that "god will
provide the cloud service".  I gave up trying on that one. <shrug>.
You need a lot of RAM or a cloud service to serve up web pages.

My own Apache box is AMD64.  Works very well. For example...

http://sleepypenguin.homelinux.org/blog/?p=168
http://sleepypenguin.homelinux.org/blog/?p=172

Would like to stream my own short films from here but YouTube provide
such a good service.

--
Richard