[Wylug-discuss] Raspberry Pi

Paul Brook paul at nowt.org
Wed Nov 20 22:54:40 UTC 2013

> They are good, but I may have bought beaglebone for webserver if doing
> it again. If you have the money the udoo looks good, but at that price
> is it better to get a microserver?

"microserver" is a sufficiently generic term that it's hard to say. But there
are definitely an increasing number of alternatives to a Pi. The beaglebone
black, and cubieboard being the examples that spring to mind.  For a bit more
money (say £100) then there are many much more capable alternatives, both Arm
and x86 based.

Personally I think the Pi is a particularly poor piece of hardware.  The only
technical benefit of the Pi is the hardware video decode (assuming you're
willing to pay for the proprietary codec licence). The rest of the hardware is
distinctly sub-standard.  I don't deny that it was one of the first linux
capable boards in its price range, and arguably a staggering publicity
success, but its age[1] and extreme cheapness really show.

If you're looking for a NAS/server system then I'd strongly recommend
something with proper ethernet[2] and ideally SATA. It makes everything a
whole lot simpler and more reliable.

Paul

[1] The arm core around which the Pi is built is substantially older than the
Pi itself. So much so that most modern Linux distributions (and many Android
vendors) consider it obsolete and not worth supporting.
[2] The Pi ethernet is implemented via an onboard USB-ethernet bridge.  This
is a questionable solution to start with, and only gets worse when you
consider that issues that the Pi USB implementation seems to have.