[Wylug-discuss] GPG maintainer needs money - quick!

Robert Burrell Donkin robertburrelldonkin at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 17:12:59 UTC 2015

On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 6:07 PM, Darren Menachem Drapkin
<darren.drapkin at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> I think that we should find a way of verifying this and discussing what to
> do about it at the meeting.
> The hardest thing about Linux seems to be, paying for it.

Not sure if I agree with that...

Crypto has peculiar troubles with maintainers - very few volunteers
are capable but very many think they are...

In general, free software maintainers seem to prefer not to go down
the commercial route, and particularly continental Europe seems to
struggle with it's ecosystem of FOSS companies

More broadly, judging by the people I know, the ratio of paid
committers to unpaid volunteers seems to have radically reversed over
the last 20 years. Perhaps we've just all grown old...

Robert